Last week, despite the ‘five security checks’ and the ‘defensive ring’ to keep unwanted guests out, anti-war activist Martin Powell managed to infiltrate the DSEI arms fair and live tweeted photos from inside.
— spokenwordnerd (@spokenwordnerd) September 16, 2015
Martin is also a performance poet and wrote this poem about his experience inside the arms fair:
With open arms we welcome swarms
For whom mass-murder is the norm
Inside this eye of global storms
Daunting weapons, haunting calm
Shielded here from all those dead
These companies can break their bread
And steal our peace as we’re mislead
To grease the wheels of war instead
A deal sealed, a glass of red
As crimson as the blood they shed
“Chin chin, we win, so some must lose!
– Who lives and dies, for us to choose!
We’ve got the guns, you run the news
– Between us war can go down smooth…”
To get these murderers in the mood
There’s even onsite massage booths…
We rub the Belly of the Beast
But snub those washed-up on the beach
We make demands and preach free speech
But hide the hands these tyrants reach
It’s time to end the Paveway IV’s
And pave the way for peace
The week of action saw daily blockades and creative protest by a wide range of groups to challenge the DSEI arms fair.
Read reports on actions below:
- Monday 7 September: Day 1: week of action launched with a blockade!
- Tuesday 8 September: Day 2: armoured vehicles turned away by ‘No Faith in War’
- Wednesday 9 September: Day 3: Wind not Weapons
- Thursday 10 September: Day 4: Conference at the Gates
- Friday 11 September: Day 5: Freedom of movement for people NOT weapons
- Saturday 12 September: Arms fair blocked! Report on the big day of action